logo original

Hawker Tempest Mk.II MW404

mw404 1

  

MW404 was built in 1945 and served with No. 247 Squadron in Chilbolton in Hampshire, England. After it had been in service for two years the plane was bought back by the manufacturer, refurbished and sold to the Indian Air Force (IAF), entering active duty in 1948. After the type was retired from front line service in 1954, MW404 was assigned decoy duties at Poona Air Force Base, along with at least a dozen other Tempest IIs. 

In 1979 MV404 was bought by Doug Arnold, who had it shipped to the UK. In 2012 Chris Miller, Texas USA, bought MW404 and will restore the Tempest to an airworthy state.

 

mw404 2

MW404/HA557 prior to leaving UK in 2012. Photo Trevor Davies.

 

 

Summary of History

 
Date Note Code/Serial

1945

Built at Hawker Aircraft Ltd at Langley (Contract ACFT/2438/C.23(a))

MW404

Aug 1945

To No. 247 Sqn,Chilbolton

MW404

May 1948

Bought by Hawker Aircraft Ltd from RAF stock at 20 MU, refurbished 

MW404 --> HA557

1948

Delivered to Indian Air Force

HA557

1979

Recovered by Warbirds of GB Ltd, Blackbushe.

MW404

1988

James Horsley, UK

MW404

2012

Chris Miller,Texas USA

MW404


  

Photos:
Redspan Solutions Ltd
Trevor Davies